Update approved January 4, 2017.
The mission of the Decatur Park District is to enrich our community’s quality of life, health & wellness, education, and economic vitality by providing outstanding parks, facilities, and recreational opportunities.
Our vision is to be a park district of excellence that enhances our community’s growth, prosperity, and quality of life.
Our values include integrity, sustainability, service, partnership, and safety.
To fulfill our mission to enrich the community’s quality of life, health & wellness, education, and economic vitality by providing outstanding parks, facilities, and recreational opportunities, the Decatur Park District has established the following goals:
Integrity: Execute our duties ethically, with honesty and sincerity.
- Maintain a transparent, open-door policy in meeting with and responding to questions and concerns from the community.
- Promptly fulfill requests for public information as dictated by Illinois statute.
- Complete an annual independent audit of the District’s financial records and internal controls by a certified public accounting firm.
Sustainability: Maintain efficient and effective use of financial, human, and environmental resources to ensure the long-term viability of the District.
- Protect, manage, and conserve our natural resources and active recreation areas.
- Utilize the Master Plan to guide decision-making for the long-term success of the Park District.
- Develop alternative revenue-generating options and pursue new funding sources.
- Support employee career growth and education to cultivate a knowledgeable, capable, motivated staff.
Service: Provide outstanding service to the community.
- Treat internal and external customers with dignity and respect.
- Establish District-wide customer service standards for all programs, facilities, and staff.
- Develop and facilitate user-friendly, integrated customer transactions across the District.
- Design and maintain communications that are comprehensive, timely, and easily accessible.
Partnerships: Collaborate with citizens, governmental entities, and private businesses to maximize resources.
- Seek and strengthen partnerships and sponsorships to increase revenue, realize cost-savings, and enhance facilities and services.
- Engage businesses and individuals across the community to support the Decatur Park District and Decatur Parks Foundation through monetary and volunteer support.
- Encourage open dialogue and community support through information sharing and input into major projects and decisions.
Safety: Establish a safety awareness culture that is in the best interest of employees and visitors to our facilities.
- Maintain a Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA) accreditation.
- Regularly inspect parks and facilities to ensure a safe environment.
- Educate and train staff in safety techniques, programs, and procedures as recommended by PDRMA and other accrediting bodies.
- Establish and maintain effective cyber-security policies, procedures and protocols for equipment and software, updating as required.
- Provide a safe, secure visitor experience with support from our park police division.